The Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor in German) is an 18th-century neoclassical monument built, on the orders of Prussian king Frederick William II, on the site of a former city gate marking the start of the road from Berlin to the town of Brandenburg. Later on, the impressive gate came to symbolise Berlin’s Cold War division into East and West – and, since the fall of the Wall, it became the symbol of German reunification.
In 1946, Brandenburger Tor was part of the Soviet sector of Germany. When the Berlin Wall went up, in 1961, the Gate was in an exclusion zone, in an arc of the Wall, inaccessible to locals or visitors, according to the city’s tourism website. When the Wall fell, in December 1989, 100.000 people gathered here for the Gate’s official opening and crowds flooded the area to celebrate their first joint New Year’s Eve.